Home Digital Photographs Genealogy Resources Special Collections Search
Francis Brown (1820-1906)
PHOTO CREDIT: LOWELL HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Born in Atkinson, New Hampshire, November 14, 1820, Francis Brown was
the second of three children. His father, Jonathan Kimball Brown,
was a farmer. Francis Brown received his education in the public
schools of Amherst, New Hampshire, and graduated from the academy in Dracut
at the age of 22. He then moved to Lowell where he obtained
By 1870 he owned real estate worth $8,000 and his personal worth amounted
to $1,000. His wife Susan (born 1822 in New Hampshire) was keeping
house. His son Frank K. was working as a wool sorter at the Middlesex
and his daughter Addie A. was at school. By 1880 Francis Brown had
become a wool buyer for the Middlesex Mills and his son worked for him.
Both son and daughter continued to live at their parents’ home on (147)
High Street. Living across the street was Francis Brown’s brother
Horace, age 57, who was employed as a section hand in the Massachusetts
Mills. 2 Also living
there was Horace Brown’s wife Harriet N., age 51, a daughter Harriet F.,
age 25, (not employed), a disabled son Edwin (age 19), another son Warren
A., age 17 (employed as a clerk in a dry goods store), and a 12-year old
son, Arthur L., at school. 3 By
1897 Francis retired from the Middlesex Mills and had purchased another
house on (440) High Street. His son continued to work there as a
wool buyer and was living in the house he in which he had grown up (now
321 High Street). Brown died at his home on February 14, 1906, leaving
his wife and son. 4
|1 “Obituary – Francis Brown” Lowell
Daily Mail, February 15, 1906. An earlier listing of overseers
in Lowell claims that
Brown moved to Lowell about 1835 and was appointed overseer in the wool sorting department in 1838. “Overseers
in the Mills,” Lowell Daily Courier, July 31, 1872.
2 Lowell, Massachusetts City Directory, 1881 - Horace Brown.
3 US Census, Lowell, Massachusetts 1870 and 1880, microfilm.
4 “Deaths,” Lowell Daily Courier, February 15, 1906.
[ Top Of Page ]